Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Orange Cake

I don't really like oranges. I actually don't like any fruit with a tangy flavor. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy oranges. I like orange flavored food, orange soft drink, orange slush and orange cake :). And this orange cake comes at the request of a dear friend.
 
After going through a number of orange cake recipes, I found the Sicilian Orange Cake recipe by Ellie of Almost Bourdain to be the best. It doesn't use any alcoholic ingredient which was my requirement. It also used easily available ingredients which again is wonderful.


The original recipe used butter which I substituted with oil since butter is a luxury where I live. And if someone from my region wants to follow this recipe, I don't want them to feel left out because of an expensive ingredient. Even though the cake didn't turn out to be oily, I still think I will go for a little less oil next time, maybe 190 - 200 gm rather than the 250 gm in the actual recipe.

I used a citrus glaze for icing, which is included in this post. I decorated my cake with homemade candied orange peel, which is really easy to make at home.

I used my handy kitchen scale to weigh out the ingredients. If you want a conversion utility , you can use this conversion chart.


Recipe:

Ingredients:

250 gm oil
250 gm castor sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
250 gm cake flour
3 tsp baking powder
85 ml fresh orange juice

Citrus Glaze:

10 gm butter/ margarine, at room temperature
125 gm icing sugar
1 tsp honey
1 - 2 tbsp fresh orange juice

Preheat oven at 170 C/ 340 F.

In a bowl sift together flour and baking powder. In another bowl beat together oil and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange zest. Add flour all at once and mix well. Slowly mix in orange juice.

Pour in a greased pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until done. If it starts to brown soon, cover lightly with foil. Cool cake in tin.

While the cake is baking, take a bowl, put butter/ margarine and honey and mix them. Add icing sugar and mix. Add orange juice 1 tbsp at a time and mix to reach the desired consistency.

When the cake is cooled, remove from pan and  pour glaze over it. If you prefer allow it to drip on the sides. Decorate with candied orange peel if desired. Serve.

Happy Baking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a reply. Criticism accepted if given for betterment...