Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pad Thai Noodles

I love Chinese cuisine, but by Pakistani standards, it is a bit bland. So to adapt it to our tastes, we add lots of spices. That's what I did to my Chinese cooking when I wasn't aware of the Thai cuisine. Thai cuisine adapts well with our taste sense. My first ever attempt was Pad Thai noodles.


My attempt at Pad Thai noodles turned out to be sweeter than I expected, which my family found strange, so next time I would be using a little less sugar next. All other ingredients can be easily found in a traditional Pakistani kitchen.


Three basic things in the Pad Thai Noodles are 1. Noodles (ok, that was obvious :) ) 2. Pad Thai sauce 3. Chilli (lots to make the noodles really spicy). The best part about the recipe is that every ingredient can be varied to suit your taste. You can alter the vegetables as per your taste as well. I will be mentioning the amounts and vegatables I used to make this easy yet exotic dish.


Recipe:

Ingredients:

300 gm noodles (slightly more than half of a 1/2 kg pack of noodles)
2 - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups thinly sliced carrots (I love carrots, remember? )
1 cup thinly sliced green capsicum
1-2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
4-5 tbsp chopped roasted peanuts
2 eggs
3/4 tsp tamarind dissolved in 1/4 cup of water
2 1/2 tbsp all purpose soya sauce*
Chilli flakes, to taste
Salt, to taste
3 Tbsp brown sugar


Boil noodles as directed on the packaging. In a saucepan heat oil and add noodles. Stir fry for a couple of seconds.

In a bowl, put tamarind paste, soya sauce, chilli flakes, salt and brown sugar. Mix to dissolve sugar. This is the pad thai sauce.

Add vegetables to noodles. Stir to mix with noodles. Add peanuts, leaving a tablespoon aside for garnish. Mix in noodles.

Make a well in the side and add eggs in the well. Scramble and allow them to cook. . Once cooked, you can mix the eggs in noodles or serve the eggs on top of the noodles. Serve warm garnished with peanuts.

You can also use green part of spring onions in garnish. I didn't use them because I don't like raw spring onions. You can use any selection of vegetables to garnish Pad Thai noodles.

Happy cooking!!!

* basically fish sauce is used, but I am not sure about the legitimacy of ingredients. I avoid naturally brewed soya sauce in my cooking because I found that that soya beans are fermented with wheat and the resulting soya sauce contains 2-3% alcohol. For details follow Albalagh.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a reply. Criticism accepted if given for betterment...