Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Banana Bread

Did I mention I don't like summers? And that marking papers is tough enough on it's own and becomes an impossible chore in heat? Don't worry, I am not going to talk about papers and summers, because today I made banana bread, so I am ready to forget the sweltering heat and the papers for the time being.

The weather is getting hotter day by day. Bananas are available but do not stay fresh for long in this hot weather. So what better use of bananas can be other than banana bread? Flavored with cinnamon this bread is soft and yummy. It is a fulfilling as breakfast and tempting as a snack. And it is the best use of those over ripe, yet not spoiled, bananas which get wasted because no one wants to eat them.



Recipe:

Ingredients:


1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp bakingsoda
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 bananas)
1/2 cup assorted nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 180 C.

Mix oil and sugar. Add flour, eggs, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine. In another bowl, mix baking soda in milk and stir thoroughly. Add milk to flour mixture and beat well. Stir in bananas and assorted nuts (if using).

Bake for 50 min or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the top starts to brown before the bread is done, cover with foil and continue to bake. Serve warm or at room temperature. Slices of banana bread can be buttered before serving.

Happy Baking!!!

19 comments:

  1. I have baked banana cake before but I don't used nutmeg and assorted nuts before. That should probably do it. I bet my banana cake would taste even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't use nuts in mine, but nutmeg did really complement the cinnamon. Do try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I just gave you an award. http://delishhh.com/?p=1462

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made several banana bread recipes here and I always come back to this one, it is a wonderful standard recipe that you can build upon and customize to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out amazing well. Like others, I added vanilla extract, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and 1/2 cup of walnuts. It was so moist and flavorful! I'd definitely make this again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't used nutmeg and assorted nuts before. That should probably do it. I bet my banana cake would taste even better, thanx for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this recipe. I've made it probably 6 times in the past two months. Very moist. The only thing I do different is leave it in the oven for 35 minutes due to my oven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't used nutmeg and assorted nuts before. That should probably do it. I bet my banana cake would taste even better. anyway thanx for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent recipe!! I added 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts and brushed the top with a mixture of 1tbs water and 3 tbs brown sugar for a sweet crunch on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I enjoy this recipe after i made my self one. Thank you for sharing your blog post, I'm looking forward to read and learn about your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really didn't like this recipe at all. I did everything as the recipe called for except I added cinnamon. It was very dense and not very flavorful. We didn't even finish the loaf, which is unusual in my house. I'll be looking for another recipe. Thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe is awesome! I read the other reviews that said it was a little dry, so I added about 1/2 a cup (give or take) of plain greek yogurt and that worked like a charm! I also added rolled oats & chocolate chips. YUM! definitely going to make this recipe again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like banana bread or cake..I baked one before and it really makes me always excited to eat..Great share!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it is a wonderful standard recipe that you can build upon and customize to your liking. anyway thanx for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in the mood for bananas the other week and bought a nice big bunch. i have three left that are getting nice and ripe and would love a good recipe for some moist and delicious banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a good banana bread! If I hadn't made it myself, I'd have never known it was low-cal! I didn't have any egg substitute, so I just used 2 eggs. It came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I always come back to this one, it is a wonderful standard recipe that you can build upon and customize to your liking, thanx for all this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent recipe!! I added 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts and brushed the top with a mixture of 1tbs water and 3 tbs brown sugar for a sweet crunch on top.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely loved how this bread turned out. So moist and sweet! Thank you much. (I glazed it with maple syrup the last few mins of cooking)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a reply. Criticism accepted if given for betterment...